Requirements for obtaining a license
Before a license can be granted, a number of criteria need to be met to satisfy the local authority that the boarding establishment can achieve a minimum level of service.
These different criteria can equally help you to get a better idea of pet boarding legislation and how to choose the right kennels or cattery for your pet.
- Suitable premises : The boarder must provide sufficient space and accommodation for the maximum number of animals he intends to accommodate.
- Appropriate cleaning and hygiene procedures: For the comfort and health of the animals and staff, the boarder must demonstrate effective cleaning and hygiene procedures. For Each pen should be cleaned out at least once a day.
- Sufficient space for the animal: Animals placed in boarding establishment are generally accommodated in kennels or pens which size is stipulated by the relevant local authority. Additional exercise space should be made available.
- Security: During their stay, the animals may be allowed of their pens for exercise. In order to prevent any risk of escape the perimeters of the boarding establishment need to be sufficiently high and sturdy.
- Provision of food: The boarding establishment should be in a position to provide high quality food and a plentiful supply of fresh water .
All pet boarding establishments should be properly insured. This insurance should include:
- Employer’s Liability
- Public Liability
- Professional Indemnity
- Care, Custody and Control of Animals
- Custodial Responsibility
- Buildings and Property